Visually Impaired Advancement (VIA) will host its annual fundraiser in Buffalo, NY, Cocktails in the Dark, on Tuesday, September 12th. Attendees will enjoy drinks and hors-d’oeuvres, interactive assistive technology activities under a blindfold, and a keynote speech from Terence James. We’ll also have blindfolded beer, cocktails, and mocktail tastings to put your taste buds to the test!
COCKTAILS IN THE DARK: THURSDAY, SEPTEMBER 12TH
Visually Impaired Advancement (VIA), known formerly as Olmsted Center for Sight and the Buffalo Blind Association, will host their first annual Cocktails in the Dark on Tuesday, September 12th, from 5:30-8:30 p.m. at 500 Seneca St – Atrium in Buffalo from 5:30-8 PM.
The evening begins at 5:30, when guests can enjoy beer, wine, cocktails and mocktails while participating in raffles and visiting Interactive Blindfolded Stations. At 6:45, VIA President and CEO Tammy Owen will take the stage to welcome our guests and introduce the speakers. Once the speakers have concluded their remarks, the Raise the Paddle Auction will commence, then winners will be announced. The evening will conclude with another opportunity to enjoy cocktails and try the Interactive Blindfolded Stations. The funds generated by the evening’s activities will be used entirely to support VIA’s rehabilitation programs and services. Those interested in supporting Cocktails in the Dark and VIA can also contribute by purchasing Cocktails in the Dark program ads and tee shirts, volunteering to help with the event or donating to VIA.
The purpose of the event is to raise awareness – and funding – to support the programs and services provided by VIA’s Low Vision Clinic in Buffalo, NY: comprehensive vision loss rehabilitation that includes Vision Rehabilitation Therapy (VRT), Orientation and Mobility (O&M), Teacher of the Visually Impaired (TVI) services, and much more.
EXPLORE OUR INTERACTIVE STATIONS
Our interactive experiences are designed to provide insight into the lives of those with visual impairments. This year’s stations include:
- Adaptive Technology. Check out the features that make cell phones and computers accessible, like voice-to-speech and other modifications.
- Water Pour. Host: Could you pour a glass of water while blindfolded? Learn how water-level indicators can prevent you from making a splash.
- Beer Tasting. Can you guess the flavors without using your sight? Find out at a blindfolded beer tasting with Jordan Bursie, creator of YouTube’s, Taste Unseen.
- Catching the Game. MaxTv glasses are non-prescription magnification lenses that can make it easier to enjoy a Buffalo Bills game or the morning paper, even if you are visually impaired. See them for yourself.
PARTICIPATE IN FUNDRAISING ACTIVITIES
Contribute to the cause while having some fun. Check out these fundraisers at our Cocktails in the Dark event in Buffalo, NY.
- Booze Barrel Raffle. Purchase a chance to bring home a selection of fine liquors. If we draw your ticket, the booze is yours!
- 50-50 Raffle. Enter to win a cash prize while supporting rehabilitation services for individuals who are blind or visually impaired.
- T-Shirt Sales. Celebrate our First Annual Cocktails in the Dark with a comfortable cotton blend t-shirt to commemorate the event.
- Raise The Paddle. Help us reach this year’s goal of $10,000 by donating to VIA’s Raise the Paddle.
WHERE YOUR SUPPORT GOES: SERVICES FOR THE VISUALLY IMPAIRED
Your support through donations and events like Cocktails in the Dark help fund the services VIA provides to help those with vision loss achieve whatever they want to accomplish.
- Low Vision Clinic in Buffalo, NY, to help individuals learn to live with diminished vision.
- Workforce Development for those entering or re-entering the workforce with a visual impairment.
- Vision Rehab Services help restore function after vision loss through adaptive tools and techniques.
- Orientation & Mobility (O&M) services help people safely get where they want to go.
Reach out to VIA for Vision Rehabilitation Services in WNY
For over a century, VIA: Visually Impaired Advancement has provided vision loss rehabilitation and social services to visually impaired individuals in Western New York. Our goal is to help those experiencing vision loss or legally blind adapt to new ways to be independent and enjoy a high quality of life.
If you or someone you know needs assistance adapting to vision loss, contact the premier vision rehabilitation provider in WNY: Visually Impaired Advancement. For more information, please email Renee DiFlavio at: email@example.com or call 716-888-4627.